White’s History and General Directory of the Borough of Sheffield (1833)

MOSBOROUGH is a large irregularly built village, on a declivity six and a half miles S.E. of Sheffield, having many sickle makers, a Wesleyan and a Primitive Methodist chapel and a school endowed by Joseph Stones, in 1680, with land now let for £28. 9s. 7d., besides which the master has a good house and 3r. 13p. of land, for which he teaches 15 free scholars of Mosborough quarter.

Marked 1 are at Mosbro’ moor,  2 at Mosbro’ Hill, and 3 at Plumley.

Berresford Joseph blksmth. and edge tool mfr.
French John, gent.
Hayes John Ibotson, schoolmstr.
Hobson Mrs. Margaret
Hutton Mr. Thomas, snr.
Lockwood Wm. stone mason
Rose Thomas, blacksmith
Rotherham Mrs. Martha
Sayles Philip, coal master
1  Smith Mr. John
2  Staniforth John, gent.
Storey John, pen knife cutler
Taylor Charles, collector
Wright Peter Wolfe, brush mfr.

Inns and Taverns.

Duke William, George Fox
George & Dragon, John Parr, (and butcher)
1  Grapes, James Rowbotham
Nag’s Head, T. Worstenholme
New Inn, Thomas Lee

Beer Houses.

Peat Jas. (and tailor)
Webster Mary


Rose John
Rotherham Fs.

Corn Millers.

Unwin John
Worstenholme Thomas


Bacon John
3  Harwood Ez.
Higginbottom Thomas
Mullins George
Smith Joseph
3  Turner Thos.


Cadman George
Oates Jonth.
Slagg Harvey


Kirkby John
Webster Geo.


Hutton Sarah
Mullins Sarah
Webster Geo.
Worrall Luke

Sickle and Reaping Hook mfrs.

Cadman Geo.
Hudson Geo.
Hutton John
Hutton T. jnr.
Hutton Wm.
Keeton J. & Son
2  Staniforth E. Naboth
Staton Nathan
Turner Geo.
Webster Geo.